Healthcare

State Healthcare in France for expats

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare
State Healthcare in France for expats

The healthcare system (l’Assurance Maladie) in France is generally excellent and in surveys which attempt to rate national health services around the world France consistently comes out near the top – every time. The National Health Service in France is not free; it is funded by contributions to a social security fund (SCU) which is […]

Continue Reading

What is Top-up Insurance in France?

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare, Insurance
What is Top-up Insurance in France?

If you become resident in France you’ll need to consider your healthcare options. The French National Health service is very highly rated but it is not free. You may be eligible to join the French national health service insurance scheme for expatriates called CMU (Couverture Maladie Universelle ). For the great majority this is certainly […]

Continue Reading

Expat Healthcare guide | “Top-up” insurance in France

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare, Insurance
Expat Healthcare guide | “Top-up” insurance in France

Voluntary health insurance in France or as it is often called “top-up” is an insurance policy which goes towards the cover of healthcare costs for residents registered for state healthcare. In order to apply for top-up insurance, first you must register with the State health service. For British expats who are covered by a UK […]

Continue Reading

Expat guide to medical top-up insurance in France

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare, Insurance
Expat guide to medical top-up insurance in France

“Top-up/Voluntary insurance in France is an insurance policy which provides for reimbursement of medical costs in addition to the State insurance fund. How much additional reimbursement you get depends on what level of cover you pay for. Finding the right voluntary (called “top-up”) insurance provider isn’t that easy in France. There is such a wide […]

Continue Reading

Medicines in France

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare
Medicines in France

Traditionally medicines in France were unrestricted but there is a new push to actively limit the range of medicines that are eligible for reimbursement through the Government healthcare service. Not just are some medicines not eligible for reimbursement but the rate of refund has also been reduced. The basic rule is that drugs with patent […]

Continue Reading

EHIC – The European Health Insurance Card

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Healthcare For Visitors
EHIC – The European Health Insurance Card

EHIC stands for the European Health Insurance Card. It’s purpose is to provide for “essential care for European holidaymakers in another EU state”. The UK NHS states that “Your EHIC lets you get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you […]

Continue Reading

Medical Consultant Fees in France – Dépassements

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Doctors and Hospitals
Medical Consultant Fees in France – Dépassements

The National Health service in France is based on a pay-as-you-are-treated regime with reimbursement of some or all fees according to various circumstances: For instance a Doctor’s visit will be reimbursed to 70% of the cost (if the cost is what the Government tariff sets) and you can get the other 30% reimbursed if you […]

Continue Reading

Carte Vitale in France

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare
Carte Vitale in France

The French National Health service works by patient payment and state reimbursement plus voluntary insurance. What is a Carte Vitale? If you are an expat in France and qualify to register with the French National Health service you will be issued with a Carte Vitale, a plastic “payment” card together with an “attestation” – a […]

Continue Reading

Visiting the Dentist in France

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Expat Healthcare
Visiting the Dentist in France

You can choose your dentist in France freely although of course going to the dentist is not free (except to children). Called a dentiste or chirurgiens-dentiste – you can find a dentist in France in the yellow pages (pagesjaunes.com), or ask at your local Town Hall for details. You do not need a referral from your […]

Continue Reading

UK European Health Insurance Card Cover in France

Written by on April 5, 2013 in Healthcare For Visitors
UK European Health Insurance Card Cover in France

EHIC, the European Health Insurance Card enables essential health care for European holidaymakers in another EU state. For a UK holiday maker in France this will cover emergency or essential treatment only that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. If you need to make an appointment with a […]

Continue Reading

Top