Caring for elderly relatives in france – what support is there for expats

Written by on February 3, 2017 in Expat Healthcare, Living in France, Retirement


Looking after elderly relatives in France: We check out what assistance is available for expats…

First of all, did you know that in France, children (where finances permit) can be obliged by the courts to support their parents and grandparents?

Putting this obligation aside, having family to stay brings much joy, but having them move in also brings costs –not only food and lodging, but you might also need to undertake home improvements and organize for extra help to care for them. In France, it’s possible to get support for some extra costs for those caring for elderly relatives; we take a look at what’s available and how to apply

Home Improvements

When you need to make necessary improvements to your primary residence to accommodate the elderly and persons of reduced mobility, a tax credit is granted for the installation and replacement of equipment specially designed to assist your new residents.

It is a very specific list of works covered, and they must be carried out by a professional, however you may be eligible for 25% of the cost to be reimbursed against your tax bill.

How to claim: Declare the full amount spent, including VAT, in box 7WJ of your ‘déclaration de revenues’. The cost of works is capped at 5.000€ for a single person household, and 10.000€ for a couple, with an extra 400€ for every dependent.

Tip: Keep the invoice for the home improvements in case you are asked for it.

Health Cover

If your family member is not already in the French health system, but has a CEAM (Carte Européene d’Assurance Maladie ) you can add them to your own health cover as a dependent.

How: Use form cerfa 14411*01 and send it on to the French organisation which oversees your own cover (CPAM, RSI,…).

Home Help

You need to apply for an Allocation Personalisée d’Autonomie  or APA (as at the  local Mairie). After this a home visit is conducted with a doctor and a social worker, to establish the needs of your family member and your involvement in their day-to-day life. This may mean you are remunerated for your assistance, or that external home help can be engaged to help as necessary.

Note: 1 month after you receive confirmation that APA is approved, a declaration should be made of the personnel engaged or the help being received (cerfa 10544*02).

The amount of support you receive will depend on the revenues of the person you are caring for as well as how much help they need.

Tax implications & reductions

As far as the French taxman is concerned your family member is now one of your household for tax purposes; even if their pension or disability income is taxed at source it should be declared on your household tax return, and if not it should be added as the income of a dependent.

If your dependent has no income, then you should reduce your total household revenue by 3.407€ per dependent, per annum (2017).

Your annual taxe d’habitation may also be reduced if your dependent is over the age of 70, lives with you and in the previous year had a declared taxable income below 10.697€ (16.409€ for two people: 2017).

The list of de-taxed installations is a long one, so get in touch to check if your planned works are eligible –

by Jo-Ann Howell at French Admin Solutions who helps expats settle into life in France.

Related Articles

Can you afford to retire in France?

Can you afford to retire in France?

Written by on January 17, 2020 in Retirement

I’ve been giving financial advice to English speaking clients who live outside of their home country for more than 23 years. And for 13 years, I’ve been based in France. The people I help are certainly a varied bunch of folks. Some have settled into their new country and new lifestyle very well. Others not-so-well. […]

Continue Reading

Tips for settling in France

Tips for settling in France

Written by on November 25, 2019 in Living in France

Getting established in any new country takes time. Here are some handy hints to help you settle in France… It may seem obvious, but for anyone moving to France, first brush up or learn to speak some French – it will make life easier and, after all, it’s only polite! There’s no getting away from […]

Continue Reading

Get your French property ready for winter

Practical tips on keeping your home in France secure and in good condition when cold weather arrives. These tips will help you get your French property ready for winter. What’s winter like in France? There are many reasons to love winters in France. The crisp blue skies on a clear day, the hearty soups and […]

Continue Reading

What’s it like to live in Montpellier, southern France?

Journalist Jenny Eagle left London for a new life in Montpellier, Occitanie (formerly Languedoc Roussillon). She fell head over heels for the stunning architecture, the vibrant buzz of the city and beautiful beaches. We talk to Jenny about what it’s like to live in Montpellier… What did you do before you moved to France? I […]

Continue Reading

British expat opens chic cafe in rural France

Katharine Tasker from London upped sticks in the city and moved to the sticks in rural northern France. With her she brought a sprinkling of urban style to her new build home and thriving new business, a café and shop… Pas de Calais is a region of meadows and forests, the countryside is criss crossed […]

Continue Reading


If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Subscribe via RSS Feed

Comments are closed.