This mussels recipe for Moules Savoyardes –or mussels cooked Mussels Savoie style uses a traditional cheese from Savoie (Savoy) – reblochon. If you can’t get reblochon - substitute with another creamy cheese with an earthy taste, some chefs suggest Brie or Camembert.
Ingredients for 4 people
2 kg of mussels
25 cl dry white wine or Alsatian wine
2 bay leaves
100g smoked bacon
30g of Reblochon cheese
40 cl of cream or crème fraiche
Pepper to taste
1. Prepare the mussels, wash them thoroughly in running water and scrape any beards off.
2. Chop the onion finely, put in a large pan with the white wine and bay leaf, lightly sauté with the white wine.
3. Add the drained mussels and cook for 5 minutes at high heat with the lid on – the mussels should open – discard any that remain closed. Drain the mussels, remove the bay leaf (or you can keep for artistic value when serving!) and put in a large dish to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
4. Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry quickly.
5. Cut the cheese into small pieces and melt in the cream on a gentle heat and add pepper to taste.
6. When the cheese and cream are mixed add about half of the cooking liquid from the mussels and blend, and then add the bacon.
7. Pour the sauce over the mussels, top with a little chopped parsley and serve with chips (fries), rice or a hunk of French bread and a glass of wine.